Support for Trainers
BAATN wants to support trainers and therapists to make training, supervision and therapy more accessible to those from black, Caribbean and South Asian heritage.
Listen to Students
5 Student Voices Video
Watch 5 students talk about their experiences in training and in the support they receive in the Student Support Groups.
Trainer And Therapist Forums
Deepening the race conversation in therapeutic practice
A space for trainers, course leaders and qualified therapists of all heritages and theoretical backgrounds. to explore and reflect on the experiences of BME students, supervisees and clients as well as share good practice in how we facilitate the race conversation on euro-centric courses and in therapy.
Professional skills development for therapy professionals, students and others in the helping professions of all heritages.
- Narratives In The Suitcase Project TrainingSat Jan 22 2022, 12:00 (London time) – 16:30 London/UK TimeOnline via zoom
- Online Training: The Challenge of Racism in Therapeutic PracticeSat Feb 26 2022, 10:30-13:00 | 14:00-16:00 London/UK time – Sun Feb 27 2022, 10:30-13:00 | 14:00-16:30 London/UK timeZoom Meeting
Recommended reading for students and Trainers
Papers that describe the student experience
Silenced: the Black Student Experience – Eugene Ellis
• Article already part of therapy courses reading lists
• Summary: Black and Asian counselling students often complain that their difference and experience is ignored in counselling training. Eugene Ellis and Niki Cooper discuss the reasons for this failure to acknowledge cultural diversity.
• Therapy Today, December 2013, Volume 24, Issue 10
• https://www.baatn.org.uk/bwl-knowledge-base/silenced-the- black-student-experience-eugene-ellis/
Updating Psychotherapy training: equality and diversity issues in psychotherapy Training – Eugene Ellis
• Summary: The profession must be much more sensitive to those from ethnic minorities who commit to psychotherapy training, says Eugene Ellis. Our business is the human condition. We have the tools.
• The Psychotherapist issue 61: Autumn 2015
• https://www.baatn.org.uk/bwl-knowledge-base/updating- psychotherapy-training-equality-and-diversity-issues-in- psychotherapy-training-eugene-ellis/
Recommend the student support groups and mentoring Programme to your students
Student Support Groups
These gatherings are for those of Black, African, South Asian and Caribbean heritage who are training to become psychotherapists and counsellors. These gatherings are also open to other people of colour who are affected by prejudice due to the colour of their skin and global white power.
Student Mentoring Programme
One to one support to Black, African, South Asian and Caribbean students who are in counselling or psychotherapy training. The programme is also open to other people of colour who are affected by prejudice due to the colour of their skin and global white power.