Organisation: You Make It
Role title: Freelance Counsellor
Reporting to: Programmes Manager
Location: Online via Zoom or Skype
Salary: £35 per hour inclusive of VAT and expenses on freelance basis
Start date: ASAP
Length: Ongoing on an ad-hoc basis.
You Make It is a registered charity which was established as a short pilot in 2011. Our programmes seek to empower young, marginalized, unemployed and underemployed women to succeed in the social, cultural and economic life of our ever-exciting capital. We broker access to people, ideas, knowledge, places and experiences that inspire the desire and focus to make it in life.
We work in an extremely holistic way, giving women the chance to really recognize the importance their individual health and wellbeing both physically and mentally. Year after year our high quality, creative and caring programme has proven to have real social impact and has changed the life chances of the young women we work with. 83% of our graduates are now in paid employment, working on their own start up ideas or have accessed formal education places.
We are looking to recruit an exceptional and compassionate freelancer with strong therapeutic experience and qualifications to join our float of 4 counsellors. This post will work alongside our Programmes team to promote the mental wellbeing and welfare of our women as they progress through our holistic empowerment programmes. At any one time we are working with up to 30 women, many who have complex needs and issues that they need additional support for in order to graduate with us. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a strong track record of working safely and effectively with young people in a therapeutic context and using referral processes with NHS services, statutory and voluntary agencies. As this is a freelance role, the appointed individual would be required to source their own external Clinical Supervision.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Liaising with our Programmes Manager to provide 1-1 counselling to women that we work with on a case by case basis
• Conducting 1-1 assessment sessions with women to determine appropriate support and identify any harm of risk to self and others
• Conducting between 4-10 sessions of 1-1 counselling with participants online via Zoom/Skype or in person at our therapy room in Hackney
• Maintaining clear and adequate, confidential case notes to be shared with the YMI Programmes Manager
• Referring participants for longer-term therapy services where appropriate
• Ensuring the safeguarding and welfare of young women on our programme
Essential (E) or Desirable (D) Attributes
· Recognised Postgraduate Diploma/ Qualification in Counselling or Counselling Psychology or equivalent (E)
· Member of BACP (or equivalent) (E)
· At least 3 years of experience working as a qualified counsellor (E)
· Excellent awareness of the needs/concerns of unemployed and underemployed young people, including those with complex backgrounds and circumstances; experiencing mental health issues, homelessness, abuse, family breakdown etc (E)
· Strong knowledge and experience of safeguarding procedures and referral provisions for mental health (E)
· Working knowledge of the legal framework in which counselling and therapy sits e.g. Data Protection Act, Equality Act, Freedom of Information Act (E)
· Passionate about equality, diversity and social change (E)
· Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to connect with people on a range of sensitive issues (E)
· IT proficient (inc Word) (E)
· Ability to work calmly under pressure (E)
· Knowledge of relevant referral organisations in Hackney and Tower Hamlets (D)
We particularly welcome applications from Black and Asian applicants
*Note we will conduct an enhanced DBS check on the successful candidate
Please send a cover letter and CV demonstrating previous experience for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24th April 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.