Groupwork Matters: How to facilitate groups more effectively
With Dennis L Carney
6th and 7th June 2020
Venue: The Psychosynthesis Trust London Bridge, SE1 2TH
This is an Open Practitioner Event
This 2-day course is about exploring, learning and practicing how to effectively facilitate groups in therapeutic and work based settings. The course is designed to be highly experiential, is theory based and assumes that the more aware you are of what goes on in groups, the more likely you are to be able to facilitate them successfully. Attention will be given to the often unspoken that goes on in groups but that nevertheless can have a big impact on the atmosphere and on group tasks.
What Will the Training Cover
There will be opportunities to develop your knowledge, confidence and skills in leading groups through an intensive exploration of;
- beginnings, middles & endings
- group dynamics
- stages of group development
- using icebreakers/games
- traffic cop guide to groupwork
- dealing with conflict
- practice and develop facilitation skills.
Here are some things previous attendees have said about the course:
- “This was a very good course that gives you an easy and comprehensive guide to improve your skills.
- “I thought that the tutor was excellent and he made the course very enjoyable”.
- “I have taken many courses over the years and I would count this one as one of the best”.
- “If you want to learn group work skills and have a really good time doing so, I think this course delivers”.
- “The course is really well structured and the tutor delivers the content in a very dynamic, engaging way and far exceeded my expectations”.
- “I took this course as a counsellor wanting to branch out into running therapy groups.
- “The tutor was brilliant and I laughed for most of the 2 days which I always count as a success!”
Who Can Attend the Training?
This course is aimed at counsellors, therapists & other helping professionals or anyone new to or interested developing group facilitation skills in their day-to-day work.
The experiential nature of the course will require you to be willing to take part in exercises, groups discussions and use your own experience as material to learn from.
We all have a wealth of experience of groups because we grow up in them: family, school etc. However no specific experience of facilitating groups is needed in order to attend.
Date: 6th and 7th June 2020
Time: 9:45 for a 10:00 start – end 17.00 both days
Venue: The Psychosynthesis Trust, 92-94 Tooley Street, London Bridge, London SE1 2TH
Cost: Organisations £280, Individuals £200, Individual Members £180, Students £150, Student members £130
About Dennis Carney
Dennis has developed and facilitated a wide variety of different groups, during that last 3 decades, that explore themes around mental health, wellbeing, identity, communication skills, self-esteem, intimacy, assertiveness, relationships, sexual health, equality and diversity issues.
Dennis continues his work as a part-time lecturer at the City Literary Institute, in Covent Garden, delivering short courses on Anger Management, Group Facilitation, Gestalt and facilitates Personal Development groups for counselling training students.
Dennis is also a long-standing member of the award-winning Leadership Team at BAATN. He has also been a keynote speaker and workshop facilitator at several BAATN annual conferences and is an active member of BAATN’s Conference Sub Group.
Throughout his career, Dennis has worked with groups in a wide variety of mental health, therapeutic, and work-based settings both within voluntary and statutory sectors in the UK and recently in Italy. He completed his training in humanistic psychotherapy at Spectrum and is a founding partner of Loving Men.
Dennis lives in Brixton, South London and enjoys sharing his knowledge and experience of facilitating groups with others who are keen to develop their group work skills and toolkits.